Nightmare on Elm St.

The journey of turning the nightmare we bought on Elm St. into our dream home...

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.nightmareonelmst.net and update your bookmarks.

Friday, February 17, 2006

Stairway to indecision

When we acquired the Nightmare, I knew that I'd have to do something about the basement stairwell. It was a decent width, but almost fully enclosed, with no railings or newels at all. I've been looking at different stair part suppliers for about 3 months now. I've acquainted myself with the terminology, I've scrutinized our main staircase, and I've thought carefully about what I want the staircase to the basement to look like. I've determined that replicating the upstairs staircase without having parts custom made is impossible. So, I'm trying to get as close as possible. Most suppliers that I've looked at don't carry the big box newels like I need in hardwoods, just hemlock and fir. However, today, I think that I've significiantly narrowed the field.
I was super stoked when I found LJ Smith, because they had a good selection of wood types and several box newels to choose from. But, their website is difficult to navigate, and big pet-peeve: no prices. I think that I finally may have found a place that meets my criteria:
1. Good selection, easy to navigate
2. Many hardwoods to choose from
3. Free shipping!
4. Prices on the website
5. Sells direct to homeowners (no dealers)
Where is this place do you ask? www.stairsupplies.com How did I not find them before? I have no idea. They even have a blog! Right now, I'm trying to figure out if we can afford to use walnut. I'll keep you posted as to my experience with this company.
There probably won't be much of an update this weekend, as I'm fighting with a cold and seem to be losing.