Nightmare on Elm St.

The journey of turning the nightmare we bought on Elm St. into our dream home...

My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit www.nightmareonelmst.net and update your bookmarks.

Monday, June 05, 2006

7 lessons from a week of vacation

I will post details from our week long home improvement marathon later, but really quick today, a list of the things that I've learned...
1. Dryer inline fans (such as those from Fantech) are very difficult to put in, but there are no words to describe the joy one feels when they hear that thing kick on for the first time! (And when the clothes actually dry in like, an hour.)
2. Densarmor (the paperless drywall, which we ended up installing), is completely impregnated with fiberglass, and after working with it for a few hours, you will feel like you were very intimate with a cactus.
3. Don't ever install that tile with the white octagons and the little blue diamonds. This will be a separate post entirely. Frustration, cuts, chemical burns. It does look nice. No mad tile skillz like Home Improvement Ninja, but anyone can line up SQUARE tiles... (just kidding).
4. Wonderboard smells like Playdoh, but that is where the fun ends.
5. An organized shop really does make it easier to work.
6. It's better just to pay someone to finish drywall.
7. Laticrete BURNS!! I have huge burns down my arms from reaching into the bucket. I can't let my arms touch my desk. Ow! (As a disclaimer as to why I didn't wear protective gear, I've worked with regular fiber reinforced concrete and mortar and never ever had a problem. I don't know what they put in acrylic modified thinset, but it hurts. Wear the darn gloves! OK, OK, I am a scientist, I should have understood the importance of personal protective equipment.)